Subject: New Horse

Hi Angie,

	Your horses mental and physical background must dictate what you
are to do. Remember, any horse moved to a new home and environment will
be stressed and most likely will not become his true “self” for a few
weeks.  Now is the time to reassure him, get to know him, and learn to
read his language and needs.

	As for physical conditioning to do a 25 or 30 by May, many have
repeated here on ridecamp that any horse should be able to do a slow
LD.  But take the time to read all you can in the F.A.Q.’s (frequently
asked questions), stories and archives of ridecamp.  You will see where
your horse’s background becomes a key ingrediant for your planning, and
how you can judge what his current condition is (heart rate, recovery).
There is also great information on type and length of conditioning
rides, rest and recovery, and tons of other information you may find
useful.

Congrads on your new horse and let us know how it goes!!

And one think more..enjoy the journey for it never really ends......

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab....starting his 3rd year in
conditioning/training...)
Pt.Reyes, CA

on Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:56:29 -0600
From: Angie Orr <aorr@GPS.com> WROTE:

I am getting my American Saddlebred on Friday and I had a few
questions.
First off, how long should I wait before I start my conditioning
program?  Would Monday be too soon?  Should I wait a week for him to
get used to the other horses and the new living arrangement or just
jump right into the new routine?  Second question is, He has not been
riden,except a little here and there, since September.  Do you think if
I condition 5-6 days a week with the LSD program that I would be ready
to enter a ride in May (a 25 miler)?  I know that this has to depend on
the horse but, just saying that everything goes well.  I'd like to
start planning a little.  Then last but not least, will he be able to
run anything other than 25-30's this season? again just generally
speaking.
Thanks in advance,
Angie and Maverick