Re:Wide feet

I know what you mean, I have to find shoes that are 4E in width.  The only
athletic shoes I can wear  are made by New Balance.  They are famous for
their "width sizing". They come in all sizes and widths and many style.
They make a trail runner that is very sturdy and has plenty of trad for
the times you  want to run or tail.  I like their cross trainer  style
which I find more comfortable for riding due to a softer sole. The sole
has plenty of cushion so I don't kill my feet when I get off in rocky
ground.
Most other manufacturers make their shoes in a standard width (D) and
don't fit me at all. My wife has pretty wide feet to and she is an
Ultra-runner as well as endurance rider. She wears New Balance in mens
sizes because she finds them more roomy in the toe box.

Good Luck!
Raymond Santana
Network  Operations
UC Davis Medical Center