Re: Slaves/Pit Crew

> I thought it was all done for LOVE!!!!

Ha! Love! Ha!
Mine actually does it for beer and downtime with the other pit crews. He
packs a pitcrew bag for the horse/rider and his own pitcrew bag. He carries
chairs, the essential ice chest with beer/pop (enough to share), all the
snacks I refuse eat - meat/onion filled sandwiches and sweetrolls instead
of that pasta/yogurt junk I will eat. Actually (I can say this since he's
not in the room) sometimes it's cheaper to crew for myself... the
beer/grocery bill is substantially lower. And I can always rely on the
other crews to help me out if I need it. I bring a couple beers for
payment.

The pit crewing men around here definitely have a fraternity. I was
appalled when I overheard accidentally (they thought they had pitched my
butt back on the trail but I snuck back to get my vet card) some of the
disparaging remarks they made re:their riders: I told her not to go too
fast, but does she listen to me, oh no. So I spent 5 minutes getting her
horse to meet criteria! If she listened to me, that horse would have been
down in no time!. The rest nod in total empathy and pitch in their versions
of slave abuse: I told her to make sure she had the correct directions to
that out of camp vet check, but did she? Noo, she was too wrapped up in
finding out about the trail. Can you believe that? They all nod, they can.

Well, maybe LOVE does play into it. The men love to sit around and one up
each other with gross slave abuse. Now the women pit crews are so sweet and
nice and never talk like that about their riders! Never!

> Honestly, all I have to do is tell him he can sleep MOST of the
weekend....that
> works for me!!!!

Mine works too hard to sleep (uh-huh) - he likes to help around the camp,
and assist the other pit crews (slave mutiny) (you don't have to take that
crap from her, let me show you a good trick to get her back on her horse
and outta here so we can relax and drink our beer)... His good trick is
showing the newbie crews where to find the pulse in the right place with
their stethoscopes!  Cathy