Re: Diet for a fat mare

> Her vet recommended keeping her on pasture, but when the herd comes into the
> barn, giving her "one coffee can" of bran and no Omolene or hay.
>
> I'm at a loss to understand this recommendation,

Me too.  Replacing Omolene with bran isn't much lower in calories, and
much more unbalanced nutrition.  So IMHO, forget the bran suggestion.
No offense to the vet, but it's not a good nutritional suggestion.

If she needs to lose some weight, and the pasture is good quality, I'd
say cut the Omolene either out entirely or down to half a small coffee
can and just a handful of alfalfa.  Mostly just keeping her from
snarfing up the leftovers should do the trick.

Susan Garlinghouse