Diet for a fat mare

A friend's ride-and-tie mare is currently laid up with quarter cracks and
won't see any action for another couple of months.  She is pastured in a group
of about 10 endurance Arabs, who are fed Omolene 200 daily along with some
alfalfa hay.  They are in good, thrifty shape.  The grass here in No. Calif.
is already supplying quite a bit of nutrition.  Unfortunately, when the others
leave the barn, Sahara stays behind and Hoovers up any leftovers, leaving her
in a dangerously obese condition.

Her vet recommended keeping her on pasture, but when the herd comes into the
barn, giving her "one coffee can" of bran and no Omolene or hay.

I'm at a loss to understand this recommendation, and my friend is seeking a
second opinion.  Would appreciate advice on whether she should be supplemented
at all, and if so, with what.

Thanks!

Linda
San Francisco