Sweeny Disease

Without going into much detail-  I have a 3 yr. old colt diagnosed with
"sweeny" (Paralysis of the Suprascapular Nerve - atrophy of the
supraspinatus and infraspinatus muscles).
From what I've been told by my vet and his sources,  horses can return to
full use of these shoulder muscles.  The injury is nerve-damage  due to a
horse kick to the shoulder.   The prescription is "turn-out" for 6 months.
My question is- has anyone brought a sweeny-horse through rehab. and gone on
to condition/use that horse in endurance or another demanding discipline?
I'm also interested in alternative 'treatments" to merely turning him out.
Please email privately.   Thanks!
kathleen

Larry Stewart & Kathleen Weickhardt
performance arabians for track & trail