Re: Teeth and tails

>>Second question....how do you teach a horse to tail without having
>YOUR teeth

>Start out on the flat by walking beside his hip

I'm afraid I disagree.  If a horse did have a tendence to kick, it would
be more difficult on a hill where he's got more weight on his rear end.
********

Hi, good point, but, if you back it up just another step, for safety! Try
just pulling your horse's tail during a grooming session. If you've never
had any massage (etc) work done, that can be a bit of a surprise to a
horse. So, handle the tail first!, try it in a safe place.

Naively, I did tail a horse up a very steep cliff (no way I would ride
this!) and the proverbial guardian angels did their job. Mare didn't even
look around and it was like being lifted up that trail. Didn't appreciate
just how strong a horse was until that point.

The second time, I was tooooo close and the horse...stepped on my foot.
Stiffling the scream, she fortunately planted another of her four feet down
so my foot and print are not a part of geological records there.

I have another horse whom I would NOT tail for love or money.

Cheers and good luck!

Monika, Koko (grab my tail and die) and Ripp (yah, sure, anytime bud)