Noisy Horses

I had a recent situation with a noisy horse.  I was taking a lesson in
the arena.  My horse's buddy was in a nearby pasture and decided to
start calling to him.  After a few minutes, he decided to start calling
back - two or three times for each circle in the arena!  My trainer had
me make a noise she said was irritating to the horse (sort of a nasal
NUGHHHHHH - didn't the coneheads make a noise something like that?) -
but not to shout it at him, which is what I started out doing - and at
the same time to drive him more into the bit.  The idea is to draw his
attention to the business at hand, but at the same time not get him all
worked up by over-reacting myself.  Anyway, if it's of any use.......
it did work at the time.