Re: Bucking

My TB/QH is a little hot, she's 17 now, and more settled, but loved to run
and buck and play with spring fever, when she was a little over-oated, and I
was underlegged. I'd say "No, No! We DON'T run and buck and play when I'm on
you!"  Thank God for my aussie saddle; just jam my legs out front,landing on
my feet,  the front thigh pads holding me back, I could lock-in;with my
legs, and I could keep BOTH hands on the reins and pick up her head.  I'd
wham into her with a royal scolding. Later on in the season, I had no
problem.  She outgrew it.
Another horse we had, I got rid of. Very talented bucker. He'd learned his
little trick, the minute you got settled.  He'd just bow in the middle and
all 4 would leave the ground, like you were on a blanket toss.  The
neighbor, a native American thought he'd make a good kids horse!  I thought
he was nuts.  We sold him for $300.  I forgot to say, he was an Appy/Walker,
3 yrs. old and gaited.  Well, that neighbor made a fool out of me, and I'd
thought I'd had the last laugh.  Within 20 minutes, he'd had that horse
gaiting up and down the street, bareback! with a halter!  He changed him
from a $300. horse to a $1200. horse in 20 minutes!    He used rough means,
, but the horse understood it.  The chain shank got wrapped around the bars.
Every time he put a little pressure on the back, and the horse started to
hump, he'd just shank  him a little tighter, until the horse was staring at
himself cross-eyed.  Horse would relax, and then the pressure was released.
They did this 6 or 7 times, and finally he vaulted on. Horse started to
buck, he got shanked again. Horse relaxed, he got praised. The kids rode
that horse 3 years.  Just a little Indian trick.    My Anglo/Arab liked to
sunfish a little while she was greenbroke. She got spanked.  Judy