esppatty: vaccinations

From: esppatty
To: ridecamp-d@endurance.net
Subject: vaccinations
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:18:24

Hi, Pat

I'm the one whose horse almost died last spring from reaction to Fort
Dodge vaccines. About 12 days after the vaccines were given, he developed
allergic symptoms which increased over a period of weeks until he was
having difficulty breathing and his hind legs were discoordinated. None
of the treatments my vet was giving were working, and at the time we did
not know what was wrong. It's a long story, so if you'd like further
details, e-mail me privately, but to make a long story short he spent a
week at the New Bolton center at UPenn and with continuous iv's of dmso,
steroids, & antibiotics he came around. It was several more weeks before
he regained complete coordination of his hind end, but eventually I was
able to compete again & in fact did 2 50-milers later in the year, and
this horse is 21 years old. This spring will be an entirely different
story. My vet no longer uses Fort Dodge as a result of this experience,
and I will be vaccinating for only rabies and tetanus I think. Be
careful!

Patty Lambert
esppatty@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]