Re: Saddle Rigging

Lauren Horn wrote:

> I like english style girths with buckles. If I found a saddle with
> western rigging (cinch), is there any way to re-rig it to use buckles?

I "growed up" on English saddles, but am now riding in a western rigged
Sports Saddle, and was absent-mindedly trying to tighten my cinch
from on top of the horse the other day... and suddenly realised the
difference between english and western rigging.

When you undo the big buckle on a western cinch, unlike on an english
saddle (with at least two buckles), there's nothing holding your saddle
on if the horse suddenly decides to vacate the area.

Mmmm. Thought I. Not a good scenario.

Which brings my thoughts back to "quick cinches" that claim you can
tighten that cinch from on top of the horse. If you do that, are you
protected from the cinch coming completely undone, if, say, Mouse
suddenly (God forbid, surely not!) decides that she just can't resist
grabbing some of that juicey, green grass over there and trundles off?

--
Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

and Mouse (who is a green horse in more ways than one... munch, munch)