Re: HW vs. others

I think that I need to ride more and condition a bit more.
I'm not satisfied with just going out and riding occasionally to get
ready. That will not be fair to the horse.  I know lots of people that
have a horse in moderate shape and they finish well.  I have to have the
horse fit to finsh well. Or it becomes just a finish and a struggle.

Because of my extra weight, it's important--I think--to have the horse
able to carry it with no problem.

I condition with people that ride the same amount I do, condition over the
same terrain, etc.  But when it comes to race day, their horse will out
recover my horse due to weight difference. So, I have to condition a
little bit more, add in more hill work and maybe a few more miles in the
conditioning program to keep my horse recovering at the same rate as the
horse carrying the lighter weight.  AND, if someone else lighter is riding
my horse, he will recover faster than when I am riding him.
This tells me that it's my weight.  I think that over the years that my
conditioning program has gotten better from all that I have learned both
by asking, by observing, and by doing.  Course that's how we all learn
right?

This all from someone who barely touched a horse last year, much less
condition one!!!

APPY TRAILS

SAMM C. BARTEE
Auburn, Al.  SE Region
with
COUJUR--I have to carry what?
B JETS WAR EAGLE--endurance newbie
110 miles and.....
SIR REVEL--what about me?  I want to go!