Re: Sciatica

Hi Linda - I have had the dreaded sciatica pain, also down my right leg.
I had a bulging disc in the lumbar area.  I know a lot of people are not
supportive of chiropractic care, however, I had a really good one back in
my home state of N.D.  Chiros are like any other health care
practitioner, there are good ones and bad ones. I was in a back brace for
a while plus going into physical therapy, massage therapy, swim therapy,
biofeedback training, stretchband therapy and weight training.  It all
helped to pull me out and some 15 years later I still have very little
trouble with my low back and do not have any sciatica pain anymore.
However, I also have had my share of neck problems that were extremely
severe and that finally caused me to quit riding.  It was devastating to
sell my dressage gelding and try to find another hobby/sport to replace
riding.  And, nothing ever did replace it.   I was off horses for about 7
years and during that time still had horrible cervical problems.  Out of
desperation, I started looking for a yoga instructor.  During this time,
I had moved from N.D. to Denver, CO.  I found a yoga instructor who
specializes in therapeutic yoga and works with a lot of patients with
chronic pain/injury and post traumatic stress disorder.  The lady knows
her stuff and is excellent.  After a few months with her, I started to
think about riding again, but not in dressage as I did not want to do all
the sitting trot work.  That is when I started thinking about endurance
riding and started to explore that.  I have been back riding 1 1/2 years
and am doing extremely well.  I have only done one 25 mile LD, but the
good news is that my body did great, no problems, and I am gradually
doing longer and more difficult training/fun rides.

I also do somatic exercises to help my muscles relearn correct habits and
to break the chronic spasm cycle.  I have not done rolfing, but I know
lots of people who do and I will probably try that as well.  I also use
different herbs to help the muscles relax because I have a stressful desk
job (plaintiff's med-mal paralegal) and the stress affects me a great
deal.

These are just some thoughts for you.  Each person needs to do what works
for them.  This is only what has worked for me.  I do encourage you to
read/research your problem(s) so you can make wise decisions regarding
your care.

Jan Mutchler and Willow, who is ready to go, just waiting on Mom.
jmutchler@juno.com

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 21:33:05 -0800 nevadaghostridr@webtv.net (L Eisele)
writes:
>     Robin, I too have terrible sciatica down my right leg and am
>feeling it now with the little snow shoveling I did.  I have lower
>back
>problems but only recently found out that the sciatica has caused me
>lose some of the strength in my right leg and in lessons had a hard
>time
>keeping my right leg quiet and my knee against the saddle.  I use to
>have a better seat but now trying thru exercises to get the strength
>in
>my right leg so as to be balanced  when I ride.  I also see a chiro
>but
>would appreciate any advice as it is taking a toll on my ability to
>ride
>the way I should.
>Linda
>
>Linda Eisele & Sareei and
>hubby, Allen & LS Iceman
>& the young LS Lakota
>nevadaghostridr@webtv.net

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]