Re: Bad Disk

<< n a message dated 98-03-05 17:21:54 EST, connieh@etalco.com writes:

 << The lowest disk in my back is bad.  Not just bad.  Very bad.  Feels like
  I'm being stabbed with a knife when I adjust to gait changes.  After a Dr.
  visit - I was given Prednisone for a few days, then to Ibuprofen, at 600
  mg. 3 times a day.  No riding for 2 weeks at least.  Seems there might be
  nerve involvement - I'm sure of that - so if I don't get relief, may talk
  someone into an MRI.

  Has anyone had this problem?  I've been taking glucomide (sp) sulphate
  since last Oct.  No results so far.

  Any suggestion would be appreciated - after all - I live to ride!
  Connie H.

   It's interesting that you are not having the MRI up front. I would not work
with you until you had one.
 From your description, however, there is no radiating pain. This is
interesting. Are you sure you have disk out? I can't imagine suggesting a two
week layoff from riding for a herniated disk.
At this point your lower back musculature is in contraction as a protection.
This is called "splinting". The anti-inflammatories will help with the
inflammation, obviously. But, they will not help with the removal of the
splinting. The splinting is caused by the pain as well as the Subluxation of
the vertebrae. Before a Chiropractic adjustment can help this needs to be
relieved. Otherwise the soft tissue, that was trying to help, will pull the
vertebra back out.
I would look for an Osteopath or Physical Therapist that offers Myofascial
Mobilization that can release the splinting. An Advanced Rolfer could help,
but like I said I wouldn't touch you without alot more info. and discussing
you with your Dr.. What Rolfing would do is open the soft tissue around the
spine to allow it to lengthen, they would evaluate your posture, ie.
conformation, and educate you to new movement options.
When do you see your Dr. again? Make sure you keep him/her informed about any
thing you may think of trying. If you find an "alternative" practitioner that
is not willing to work with the MD, run from them.

hope this helps

jim pascucci
Certified Advanced Rolfer