rabies, and McPhail Lab website

While there is a rabies thread, I thought I'd send along portions of
a press release that the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan
State University will be sending out for Michigan horse owners.

Also, I just received a newspaper article from a friend in North
Carolina telling of rabies there.  A little girl was recently bit by
a rabid gray fox, and my friend told me of a boy that was  bit last year
by a rabid beaver.

This press release was written by Ken Gallagher, DVM, MS, Equine
Extension Veterinarian, MSU College of Veterinary Medicine:

"Although rare in horses, horse owners should be aware there is a new
strain of rabies believed to be spreading from the East Coast to
Midwestern states.

"Since 1995, three horses in New York state and two in Pennsylvania
have been confirmed to have contracted a new strain of rabies found
in raccoons.

"In the spring of 1996, two cases of rabies in raccoons were
discovered in northern Ohio.  Now 40 new cases of raccoon rabies have
been identified in Ohio.

"Though rare in horses," said Gallagher, "horse owners should not
ignore the disease, because the animals are very sensitive and
susceptible to rabies, if exposed."

"Clinical signs are similar to other diseases that affect the horse's
nervous system, which makes it difficult to diagnose.

"As far as we know, the rabies vaccines are effective if used prior
to exposure.  Often rabies vaccination is not a priority for horse
owners, but they should at least consult with their veterinarian to
discuss their over all management program.

"Certain factors can increase risk of exposure:  pasturing, presence
of wild animals in the area, presence of a known rabid animal in the
area, and horse traveling to areas with frequent rabies cases.

"Gallagher said horse owners should work with their veterinarians to
figure out which management fctors might affect their animals.

"Public health officials and animal disease officials in the states
around Ohio are in close contact with public health officials and
regulatory veterinarians in that state to monitor this disease in
raccoons.  Ohio is attempting to control the disease.

"Although the risk for horses in not high outside of Ohio, horse
people should be forewarned to consider vaccinations when they plan
their preventive health programs.

"Past experience indicates spread of the virus can be slowed but not
stopped.  'The epidemiology--the study of the frequency and
distribution of disease--of raccoon rabies tells us that the
potential for exposure is increasing,' said Dr. Gallagher."

McPhail Chair Website:

"The Mary Anne McPhail Dressage Chair in Equine Sports Medicine at
Michgian State University's College of Veterinary Medicine is now
present on the Web (www.cvm.msu.edu/dressage).

"The chair was established by Mary Anne McPhail to support research
into all aspects of the relationship between veterinary medicine and
dressage performance, with special emphasis on prevention and
treatment of lameness problems.  Dr. Hilary Clayton was appointed as
the chair's first incumbent on July 1, 1997.

"The website includes a description of the technical capabilities of
the McPhail Laboratory, a review of the research projects underway,
the full text of presentations made by Clayton at various meetings,
and a list of the latest publications produced by members of the
McPhail Lab."

Anyone who would like a copy of these press releases for your local
equine association newsletters, please e-mail me and send your
mailing address (I haven't been successful at sending these out as an
attachment).  Also, if you would like to receive future press
releases on equine-related health care, please provide the
association's name and address, phone, fax, e-mail for a contact
person.

Lastly, the Michigan Horse Council's "Trails Day" will be held on
April 11, 1998, at the Michigan State University's Pavilion for
Agriculture and Livestock Education.  The theme is "Promoting and
Preserving Trails for Michigan Horses and Horsemen."  The program
will include demonstrations on endurance riding, competitive mounted
orienteering, trail etiquette, veterinary emergencies on the trail,
and much more.  Contact me for info.

Thanks!
Judith Lessard
Editorial Assistant