Re: keeping weight on

Wow, Tina--8 lbs of corn and 2 lbs of oats??  I would not be comfortable
feeding THAT much grain!  That could be one reason why Tony is nervous and
fretting some of the weight off hauling, etc.  How old is Tony?  Is Tony
really ready for a more frequent schedule?  If he is having trouble keeping
weight on, I would seriously wonder about stepping up the schedule--get the
problem solved first.  What is his turnout like?  Sometimes there is so much
moisture in the pasture that it limits the amount of roughage that a horse can
physically consume, and the solution is more dry roughage.  Some alfalfa might
help.  So might a pelleted feed that is a roughage base (ie not just adding
more concentrate).  I would also pursue the oil.  B vitamins are also helpful,
not only for increasing appetite, but also for calming and for making the
horse more efficient with his calories.  Where are you located?  Any
possibility of a selenium deficiency or other deficiency that could be
contributing to the lack of thriftiness?

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)