Bad Disk

The lowest disk in my back is bad.  Not just bad.  Very bad.  Feels like
I'm being stabbed with a knife when I adjust to gait changes.  After a Dr.
visit - I was given Prednisone for a few days, then to Ibuprofen, at 600
mg. 3 times a day.  No riding for 2 weeks at least.  Seems there might be
nerve involvement - I'm sure of that - so if I don't get relief, may talk
someone into an MRI.

Has anyone had this problem?  I've been taking glucomide (sp) sulphate
since last Oct.  No results so far.

Any suggestion would be appreciated - after all - I live to ride!
Connie H.