my most unforgettable moment, so far

I'm a newbie to distance riding and did three baby (15 mile) CTRs (not
NATRC) rides last summer and one LD ride 25, miles.

Teh first CTR was the most exciting. I was then 45. I've had horses all my
life, but couldn't compete at trail and endurance, just dream about it..
had to raise kids first, divorce a leech, go to college, get a job, etc. By
the time I did all that, my good horses were aging, so in the fall of 1996,
I began the great endurance horse hunt. To makea long story short, I
boughtthe wrong horse, a 4 year old Appie gelding who proceeded to try to
make mincemeat out of me. He ended up going to a rodeo.

Then, over the Net, I found Star, a pretty bay, grade Arab gelding, 10
years old, who needed a home. People have told me he looks and acts like
Tuhotmos. I don't have a clue what his real lineage is. He was nervous and
scared, as was I when we first got together. I bought him Feb. 11. In June,
we did our first competititve ride.

At the rider's meeting the night before, my heart just sank when we went
over the ride map. The entire ride followed a lakeshore. I had been working
with lSTar for months, but everytime he saw a lake, he freaked. Not just
mild jigging or nervousness, but outright freaking out. We were SUNK. But I
figured, well, we drove all this way, I'll give it a try.

The next morning, he was JAZZED. Dancing and prancing, rearing and
spinning. When they called out our number, he kept it up. The first half
mile down the road, I almost turned him around to go home. Then we got to
the first trail marker. He settled down and got to business, and was fine,
too fast, but fine the rest of the ride. He led the way up a grass covered
cliff, with other riders asking me how we got up there. We were riding in
the Flint Hills of Kansas. Very scenic. Teh hills are deceiving from a
distance.... We galloped over a skunk so fast, the skunk had no chance to
react (thank goodness).

I was glad to see the first vet check, but being a short ride, we had only
a short hold period, and off we went again. Teh vet asked us to ride our
horses at a trot away from him so he could see if the horse was willing to
continue. As Star cantered away, I yelled back, "Is this willing enough???"

I finally got Star pulled down to a dull roar. Other riders were trotting
to keep up with his walk adn one woman was whacking her horse with a crop
for 6 miles trying to keep up with us. When we finished that loop, we had
to wait across the road from the vet check, so as not to finish too soon.
My hands had blisters from holding Star back (lesson - wear gloves even if
it is 95 in the shade)

When we got into camp, he began acting silly again. I asked, "can I get off
this horse now??" The answer was sure. I was glad.

We went through the 10 minute P & R and came back in 30 minutes for our
final all over check. I really didn't know what to do or what was expected
of me, but Star did well. I didn't know how well until the awards and they
called our names for first place, heavyweight division. I was
FLABBERGASTED. My goal had been to finish and we won! I was thrilled beyond
belief and hooked on distance riding from that point on.

We went on to get a 4th at our next ride and a 2nd at the following ride.
We finished our first 25 in good shape. Star could have gone much faster,
but I kept him down to abotu a 5 to 6 mph pace, for my sake not his.

Each ride has been a challenge. I have learned so much about myself and my
horse, about saddles and tack, about riding techniques. You always think
you know so much until you try something new!

Our goal for this year is to do 25-mile LDs and 30-mile CTRs, with a 50
mile endurance by the end of the season. Once we know what we are doing,
watch out.....

chris paus & star

P.S. the woman I bought Star from confided in me later that they celebrated
when I drove away with him. They thought he was unrideable. They had taken
him to a sale barn, but the high bidder was the killer and they didn't
think he deserved that, so she came home and sent me email begging me to
buy him. NOW she brags about him. She plans to come watch us when we do an
Oklahoma ride.