weapons

Hello everyone!
Just got back from riding, just five miles as there is about ten inches of
snow on the road!  But I just got done reading  all of the postings concerning
weapons, and I feel reassured that most of the people who pack, either in
their rig or on their horse are the type of people who arent going to shoot
themselves or anyone else, mostly because they are the type to stay out of
those situations.
I DO pack, have for years, either a 30-.30 or my trusty .357, or a shotgun
during hunting season. I pack my .357 in a shoulder holster on my fanny pack
because its a big gun, I'm a small person and I was tired of getting beaten to
death  by it bouncing around on the small of my back.
I have been shooting since I was nine, and reloading my own ammo since high
school. (18 years ago :)  And I have always packed for one major ( and several
minor ) reason; If my horse is hit while I'm out riding on the road, I want to
be able to put her down.  Years ago I had two bad experiences, Not with
horses, but cows.  One got out on a major road and got hit, down, thrashing
with two broken legs.  Cop on the scene called the owner( a freind of mine)
and wanted him to come get the cow.  He shows up and was appalled that the cow
was still alive while every one watched.  Asked the cop to shoot it and he
REFUSED, and of course wouldnt let my freind borrow the gun to do it himself.
So he had to go home and get a shotgun and come back and shoot the poor cow.
Reason number one to carry a gun.    The other story doesnt involve guns but
is something to think about anyway.  Cow gets loose in small town on the
outskirts of a large town.  SIX cop cars chase cow about 10 MILES up and down
the city streets. A freind of mine working at a gas station calls me ( I was
working for a rancher at the time) and tells me about it.  I call the rancher,
we go out and find the cops, who had the cow in custody ( which actually means
that the cow was nabbed by ten or so well meaning but totally unagriculteral
suburban mobile home dwellers armed with cat leashes and closeline) and were
all on their radios congratulating each other on how they had the situation
under control. Heres the funny part:
When we walked up, I heard a cop say " Heres a man in a cowboy hat, I"ll bet
he knows what to do"  I KID YOU NOT!  And there was some mildly neurotic woman
on the ground in her bathrobe with the cows head in her lap, crooning soothing
words to the poor thing ,who had been chased to the point of panic, then
exhaustion, by these well-meaning but stupid cops.  Anyway, we got a trailer,
loaded the cow up ( I got to push the back end, none of the trailer dwellers
wanted to get thier bathrobes dirty) and took her home, where luckily she
recouperated. The point to all this is IT COULD HAVE BEEN A HORSE. Reason
number two to have a gun, A horse probably who have been injured severely
during the car chase.And theres a hell of a lot of people out there who mean
well and havent got a clue about large animals.
I have never had to use my gun and hope I never do.  I target shoot on rides,
my horse doesnt care.  I hunt every year on my horse. Even bagged a nice 2x3
buck this year. I stay aware of my suroundings and while everyone knows I
pack, I've never had anyone act offended, scared or concerned that I do.  Most
people ask if I DO pack, knowing I ride all over in the mountians, miles from
my home or trailer. I have found that most people who are afraid of guns
simply have not been around them and therefore know nothing about safe
handling etc.  My kids both shoot and know how to check to see if a gun is
loaded ( even guns they are unfamiliar with ) and know the most important rule
about guns.  They are ALWAYS loaded, so NEVER point one at something you do
not intend to shoot. Saftey first is the rule with ANY sport or hobby. And
safety means education.
 On a more humerous note, while I have never used my gun in an emergency, I
did have it come in handy recently.
I had a cart and harness for sale and had a woman and her husband show up just
as I was riding in the driveway.  They followed me into the barn, where I tied
up Rayna and showed them the cart.  I took of my outback coat and talked to
them for a few minutes when the gal asked me " Is that a gun?" Yes, I told
her.  " It's BIG"  Naw, not really, I said.  " Why do you take it?" In case I
have to put a horse down 'cause of a broken leg" And my girlfreind who had
been riding with me says
" Yeah and theres a prison right up the road, they escape a lot"
Well these poor people sure got big eyes.  They decided to but the cart and
harness, gave me the price I was asking in cash, with no dickering, loaded up
and left.  I told Beth, " Maybe I should wear the gun everytime I try to sell
something, They didnt even dicker!!"
Could be I found a way to boost horse prices, Dont you think?:):):)<g>
See ya on the trails!
Julie and Rayna