conditioning

Frank raises some interesting points.  The Kenyans seem to tolerate,
and respond well to, tremedous amounts of work.  They have that
combination of motivation, dedication, conformation, and natural
metabolic ability [as Tom might say, acquisition].  This is, I
am sure, true of all world class athletes.  Most humans cannot do
these workouts and it would be a terrible mistake for a runner of
mediocre ability or of moderate training history  to jump into the
Kenyan's training schedule.  They wouln't last the week.  Each
athlete must find the maximum workload that they can do and recover
well from.   It is certainly easier to find an appropriate work load
in humans.  You can ask "how are you sleeping?  Were you sore after
that last workout?  How long did the soreness last?  Any niggling
aches or pains? Did that feel easy to you?"  Much harder in horses:
we have to be so much more on the lookout for subtle signs of
reluctance, tenderness and so forth.  Yes, undertraining will result
in less "overtraining" injuries such as tendinitis.  But it will not
result in great performances.  The rider/trainer must be the one to
decide upon the final goals and must factor in other variables.   How
much ability the horse has, what facilities are available for
training, how much time can be devoted, are all considerations.

 I think Tom's point was that we could probably see
much better performances in all disciplines of racing if we accepted
that some horses will tolerate much greater training loads than has
typically been accepted.  That likely will include some higher
intensity work.  In an endurance animal competing at 50 miles, this
might mean cantering up long gradual hills. When training for
longer distances, it might mean trotting up long inclines, that you
might otherwise have walked.  It could mean 1 day each week where you
do a fartlek type workout, more big trots with cantering more often
during a moderate length ride, than you would typically include.
This will requre a smart, highly observant rider, one who knows the
horse and who has slowly brought the horse along.  But given a
gifted rider and a gifted  horse,  applying these training
techniques should result in improved race performances.
  Beth