Re: Weapons

I ride alone a lot and have been contemplating carrying a pistol in a fanny
pack.  Right now I avoid strangers, NEVER make eye contact unless I am with
a group (decided I would rather be considered stuck up then prey.) and I
always try to leave some gas in my horse's tank on any ride - endurance or
conditioning.
I don't ever want her too tired to be able to outrun/outdodge someone after
us. I was
chased by men in a 4X4 once and that's all it took for that resolution to
soak in. My horse was fresh enough (we were on our way home, too) to zip in
and out of a good sized arroyo and around a nice steep hill out of reach,
and soon out of sight, thank heavens.
I don't know that I am brave enough to take potshots at a pursuer while on
a feisty horse without someone getting hurt. With my luck, that would be me
getting dumped off my horse in front of the pursuers... that would defeat
the whole purpose of "packing", wouldn't it?
Are there any other women who ride primarily alone & carry a weapon
and if so what kind and have you ever needed it? And just where do you
carry it anyway?
Cathy