Re(2): OF : placement of the fender

> Pardon me if I am confused.  The O/F Endurance Cutback has biothane leathers
> and a leather flap (large leather area under leg).  The E C/B does not have a
> fender except on the 1988-90 models.   Are you trying to get the biothane to
> turn like a leather fender on a western saddle? or are trying to get the flap
> area to turn?
>
> Unless you are 5 foot tall the biothane leathers will very easy follow your
> leg curve as it goes down to your ankle.
Sorry, but I used the wrong term. I was meaning the leathers, not the fender (the fender must be this large leather stuff that comes on the western saddle).
I really feel that my foot, especially the left one is not positioned correctly on the base part of the stirrup (I use EZ ones). I mean that my foot is not perpendicular to the axe of the stirrup. I would like the stirrup axe being perpendicular to the axe of the horse and my foot parallel to the horse. What happens is that my feet are effectivly parallel to the horse, BUT on a stirrup which is turned to the inside...like this...
I'm also afraid that on the long run, I will get stiffed on the outer part of my foot which is touching the stirrup.
Here in Belgium, the season didn't start yet and I rode my new OF only for conditioning : max 2 or 3 hours and I still have no experience of a real ride (50miles and more) with this new saddle.

      |   /
      |  /
      | /
      |/

      ^
     horse (Orfeo)

Or maybe am I riding wrongly, but this doesn't happend with another saddle.

> The only 3 problems I've seen with biothane leathers/cambuckle is:
> #1.  5 ft person and legs so short that the cambuckle would rub on the flap
> leather.  (We also remover the leather cover as it is totally aesthetic and
> stiffen the ankle area).
not my problem

> #2.  Any rider that has a tendency for the ankles to turn outward (right
> angle
> to the horse) would tend to have interference from the cambuckle.  This also
> locks your ankle, knee & hip joints and could effect lower back as well.

neither; I don't think I ride like this...
> #3.  O/F used to send the leathers out with the cambuckle 'upside' down.*  To
> do this you do not have to undo anything.  Just shift the biothane up until
> the cambuckle is passed under the stirrup and is on the outside/side away
> from
> the horse.  This causes the cambuckle to 'walk down' or 'lock' at the
> stirrup.
I must be in front of my OF saddle to figure out what you mean; I'm currently at the office and will check that out this evening.

> *(If the cambuckle is on the side near the horse it may 'walk up' and cause
> alot of problems/pain/rubbing etc).  I have noticed that whoever is putting
> on
> the biothanes at O/F now is putting them to the inside-which I consider the
> 'wrong'; less correct/functional place for them to be.  (personal opinion)
>
> If you don't mind would you please describe the problem you 'personally' are
> having?
> or
> If it is just that you thought the biothane would conform as leather does
> then
> you might be fighting a loosing battle.  The biothane coating is over nylon
> webbing and neither it nor biothane itself is very 'formable'.
>
> A few clients who had the more western 'bell' shaped stirrups; like the nylon
> distance stirrup-especially man with larger foot-could possible have a little
> pressure in the ankle or outside ball of the foot as these style stirrups on
> most all saddles may have a tendency to tip-UP towards the little toe.  The
> O/F offset stirrup and many other models of flat wide stirrups eliminate this
> problem.
>
> I have a friend with a fused right ankle (with pins) who occassionally gets a
> little rubbing of the cambuckle; but she knows that usually means she's
> tended
> to balance on the balls of her feet, heels up, with her toes turned out.
> When
> she remembers to roll her knees in and soften her joint angles it's not
> usually a problem.
>
> Anyway, don't know if any of these comments apply.  Just curious as to why
> you
> wanted/needed the leathers/fenders to turn?
>
> If I can be of help; feel free to reply.  Just thought out a few scenarios
> I've run across.  Cindy

I don't know if I explained perfectly the problem. Actually it is not really a problem, but I'm affraid it can become one after hours and hours in the saddle and I would like this to be solved BEFORE I go to any ride. I have the impression, but I must confirm this by riding in an arena with mirors (or an instructor) that I have to put some force to turn the stirrups to the outside in order to keep my feet perfectly perpendicular to the axe of the stirrup...
Bon dieu de bon sang (damned ...approximate translation): this is a difficult thing to explain in english... I prefer computer language.

Hope you understood.

Bonne journee et a bientot

Leonard, fromm Belgium