My Horse Yawns

From: Joyce Kellenberger
Email: Joyce.Kellenberger@PSS.Boeing.com

My seven-year-old mare yawns a lot when coming home from a ride.  Our rides are usually two to three hours, probably traveling at 5 mph, nothing strenous.  I am hoping to introduce her to endurance this year.  She is in good shape but hasn't been pushed or asked to perform to her limit.  On our 'cooldown' ride home which is about a mile or two, if taken at a walk, she will yawn so big that she throws herself off balance!  It is usually a source of amusement for me and anyone I am riding with, however, I am beginning to wonder if I have a potential problem on my hands as I have never seen another horse yawn like she does.  With humans yawning is a way of getting oxygen into the bloodstream.  What is happening with Cassidy?  Should I be concerned?

Thanks, Joyce
Home email:  kelhie@aol.com
(not currently a subscriber; please reply to sender or home email)(Thanks for the guest form, Steph.)