Tapering off before races and how many races in a year?

I'm getting back to jogging so am happily reading books on running, not
that I intend to run as such.  The  Granddaddy of running clubs has a good
book out (The New York Running Club)  and in it tapering off before a race
is discussed and also 'limited number of maximal efforts' within a year.  I
wonder if there is any similarity in what is done in conditioning endurance
horses; I don't remember this in any discussions over the last year but
haven't checked the archives.

The NY Runners Club advocates cutting back on running time just before a
race: at least 2 weeks before reduce 20-30% and the week before 50%  Don't
run the day before at all or easy jog at most.

Under 'training season and racing season' they suggest only 2 maximal
efforts per month and race only for a 3 month season.  After a maximal
effort nothing hard for 4 or 5 days.  After a marathon nothing hard for a
month.

What do you think-any parallels?

Ann