Re: the AERC Convention

Glenda wrote:
I say this as a newcomer to the sport, living in Mobile, AL, who has not
yet found one endurance rider closer than 100 miles away in any direction.
(And if not for Ridecamp, I wouldn't have found any at all.) I look at the
ride schedule in EN and am green with envy at all the rides happening out
West, while in the SE we have perhaps 1/3 (just guessing?) the number of
rides, and at far greater distances -- I will have to drive 300-400 miles
to most rides in my region this year.  Obviously that increases the
expense and decreases the number of rides I can attend.

This problem is not just limited to your area.  I live in northern Utah and
am having a heck of a time finding rides any closer than a 3-4 hour
drive,besides the fact that there is no one in my area to ride or train
with.  Most rides are an average of 6-10 hours drive time away.  Maybe more
publicity would help.  I know that the western riding clubs of Utah would
consider themselves the best kept secret in Utah.  You would think that with
all the mountains and beautiful scenery we have around here, there would be
more interest in endurance riding.  Maybe we just have too many cowboy types
that think if they just go run their horses around all weekend that they are
great riders. >G<  I like the idea of changing locations of the national
convention every year as this gives more people a chance to attend in
different areas.  We follow this arrangement with my riding club assoc.  The
state convention follows a rotating schedule of south, central, and northern
areas in order to accomodate many different people and regions.  It is not
always as convenient to go to another location but you know that eventually
they will come back to your area.

Carrie