Re: Hay?...before and after

Sue Garlinghouse wrote:

<snip>

>hay prices vary ALOT by region---out here in California, decent timothy
>is $18-20 for a 100 lb bale.  Fat chance I'm spending that much for
>hay.  High quality bermuda is around $9-10 for a 130-lb bale, which is
>nutritionally very similar to timothy.

<snip>

I've always wondered - *why* are bales of hay so big and heavy
in the West?  Around here (I am in Ohio) the average bale is
about 50 lbs.  I can't pick one of those up easily.  Do the hay
balers out west think everyone is superhuman?  I used to
live in AZ and I remember those monster bales!

Just curious why they bale so big...

Jude Hall
glad our bales aren't any heavier
and 50 lb. timothy runs about $2.00/bale