Re: Exhibitors and the AERC Convention

Dear Jerry,
You raise some interesting points about exhibitor attendance
at convention. I view my self as an "exhibitor" rather than a "vendor"
as I manufacture the majority of what I sell.

(A) Incentivizing Exhibitors:

As a "West Coast" based endurance related business, I have been to every
East Coast AERC convention since being in business since 1987 (since 1984 as Eagle Tack).
This fact has however never garnered any favours from AERC, I do it because
I take a global perspective of the endurance community, rather than a regional
one. Of course I would be overjoyed if somehow there were AERC "brownie points"
associated with consistant support of the Tradeshow. It is fair to say though,
that there are many exhibitors who have endured the vagaries of convention
organization, and have in some cases been treated rather less than fairly, despite their
continued support. In addition, one must be careful when seeking to subsidize one group,
and not the other. It could be fairly argued that East Coast businesses should be incentivized
in a similar manner to attend shows on the West Coast.

(B) Gross Sales:

I had a wonderful time at the convention, meeting new faces, visiting
with old friends. In addition, contrary to popular rumour of the  finacial viability
and risk involved in  attending the show, my gross sales numbers were the same as Reno 1997!
This indicates to me that promoted correctly, there should be no difficulty in
filling the Tradeshow in future years away from Reno. Factors such as weather, accessibility
quality of speakers, and location have alot to do with it. I know I benefited directly from "walk in" traffic,
a possibility in a town like Lexington, less so somewhere like Atlanta.

(C) Attendance:

To address your point about attendance related to regional location, of the
larger/longtime endurance businesses, attendance in this category was only down by one.
In addition, there were several smaller Westcoast based businesses present as their first show.

If you look carefully at the attendance roster, (bar a few) the remainder
of businesses were comprised of larger corporations (supplemets, publishing,
shoeing, trailers) which have regional offices. In fact, (besides one other
EST tack business), I didn't observe any East Coast business represented at a higher
frequency at this show than at Reno.

There a a few hard issues that the office faces when deciding to locate
the convention away from Reno:

(1) Per endurance related businesses, there are more located in the western
part of the US, than Eastern. The Tradeshow garners the majority of income neede to
run the office and related programs.

(2) Moving the AERC office to a convention site is more reasonable and cost effective
if it is within a couple hours drive of Auburn.

(3) As (small) businesses, we face the overhead cost issues, and the concern that
the convention attendees will be less if the show is east of Colorado. This is
an issue for all non-west coast businesses as well, the difference is that they can be
guaranteed of meeting or exceeding their sales goals at a West Region Conference, hence it
is worthwhile for them to travel. This particular show was all the more incredible
since I understand the total number of attendees was only around 500.

Perhaps the AERC should elect a "Tradeshow" committee to ensure the success of an activity
which generates a significant amount of income for them?

Dom

Dominique Freeman              |  "Life is short, science is long"   |
fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com     |                                     |
Hewlett Packard Laboratories,  |                                     |
Palo Alto, CA USA              |                                     |
Phone: (415) 857-8596          |                                     |
FAX: (415) 857-2862            |                                     |