Re: Convention

In a message dated 98-01-30 00:44:56 EST, hikryrdg@evansville.net writes:

<<
 Ramey, As you could see, we have a problem getting vendors to show up at
 the convention in the east.  As a good business move, why not tell a vendor
 that if they go to Reno then part of the deal is they also have to show up
 in the east.  Just another step in running AERC like a business.  Did you
 notice the lack of west coast folks  at Lexingtion?  Sometimes I feel like
 we are expected to go west but that the west coast riders could care less
 about what is going on back here.  Just a feeling.  Did AERC budget any $
 to advertise the convention ?  Jerry Fruth...Hickory Ridge...Standing
 JABASK KNIGHT >>

I beg to differ with you..  I know of PLENTY of vendors who would have.  I
offered this to the AERC office, but it fell on deaf ears.  As most of you
know, I do a LOT of trade show and know a lot of companies that would have
loved to come....I could have DOUBLED the size of the trade show.....

BUT, what would they have gotten in return?  The attendance was low for a
trade show of the size it was...if you got more vendors, the $$$ don't go as
far....The REAL problems lies in attracting more attandance...I have made
numerous suggestions over the years concerning this.  Seems the AERC office
thinks they can do it all on their own and are not willing to accept advice
from anyone.

For starters.....you have got to ADVERTISE!!!!  What little the AERC office
did told no one that the trade show was FREE and did not list speakers until
AFTER you sent your money in...How can you attract people without telling them
what is happening..

Secondly...no one outside (or very few) will pay $65.00 for seminars when they
are not even listed up front....even if they were, you cannot attract many
newcomers with that kind of fee.  Get in line with the21st century!!!!  Charge
EVERYBODY a flat $10.00 per day to get in to EVERYTHING.  Thus, people who can
only attend one day or one seminar get a good value.  I know people who did
NOT come because they could only attend Saturday and felt $65.00 was too
much..  By charging everyone every day...AND increasing advertising, you will
more than equal the $$ currently generated.  AND, possible get more people to
JOIN!!!!

As a vendor, this is one of the poorest organized trade shows I go to (even if
it is worthwhile for me...must be, I have been going for 14 years and have yet
to see a seminar).  The office would be $$ ahead to hire someone to manage the
trade show, someone with professional experience in doing so.

Teddy

PS: I really saw more west coast people than I expected to see...overall, the
attendance was good considering all of the shortcomings.