apprenticeship

<The truth of the matter is, those individual riders who like to blow it
out will not have a horse left to become a 50 or 100-miler.  The horse's
legs simply won't last (not to mention threat of death in metabolic
breakdown).  I believe that's why less hot-dogging is seen in the upper
levels.  These people have learned to take care of their horses, not
just
live for the glory of the moment.>

Or they just get a new horse.    Many of the wise and virtuous 50/100
mile people have learned the hard way by burning up a few horses.
Unfortunately for the poor horses, there seems to be quite a learning
curve in this sport.  I have long thought there should be some type of
"apprentice-membership" in AERC to transfer hard-won knowledge to
novices without the horses having to be sacrificed.  I don't know, maybe
you'd have to do 3 rides with a member  and pass the written test or
something.  Just an idea.....