Re: Stepchildren and also-rans

Beth Glace wrote in comparing human runners/marathoners to 25 or 50/100
mile horses.
In response:
	I'm no physiologist, but I must say that in my opinion, comparing human
runners and horse runners is in no way fair.  Horses are much more fragile
creatures.  Humans have the intelligence to look after themselves.  Horses
depend on their human riders to look after them.
	I think it's not fair for one group to act superior to another group.  But
I must say that Truman Prevatt was right on target when he talked about
speed being the horse's worst enemy.  Of course, it's not only 25-milers
who can ride too fast.  But like him I have seen 25-milers blow out their
horses on the first loop, only to have them peeing coffee.  And what's
worse is that once when this happened, the owner acted as if he could care
less.  He wants to ride fast, he will ride fast, and he has metabolic
trouble consistently.  This is completely unacceptable.   And that goes not
only for 25-ers who do that but for anyone, 50-miler or 100-miler.  It just
seems that you have many less hot-doggers in the higher mile races because
they are much more challenging and require much more skill than the 25s.
	The truth of the matter is, those individual riders who like to blow it
out will not have a horse left to become a 50 or 100-miler.  The horse's
legs simply won't last (not to mention threat of death in metabolic
breakdown).  I believe that's why less hot-dogging is seen in the upper
levels.  These people have learned to take care of their horses, not just
live for the glory of the moment.
	Now, I'm certainly not knocking competing in 25-mile rides.  I have only
done 25s and 50s simply because 100 is too big a jump for me in the present
state my life is in (child, school, etc.).  I thought the 50s were more
enjoyable because they were more of a challenge to me and my horse, and I
felt a great deal of accomplishment being able to successfully complete
50s. (I personally ride to complete, not to win, though I have won one 25
by being the first to reached require pulse rate).  We just must all
remember that each person has only so much they can do in the state THEIR
life is in.  So if they can only do 25s, so be it.
	I do agree with Angie McGhee, though, that if you're consistently winning
25s, do yourself and your horse a favor.  Try a 50.  You CAN do it.  You'll
be glad you did.
	One last word:  Let's not completely alienate 25-milers.  After all, many
of them do go on to become our 50 and 100-milers.
	By the way, Angie, congratulations on yours and Kaboot's first 100.  Way
to go!  (I've been out of the loop for a while)

Lori Sumrall