what do we call "endurance"

> I have no doubt that a horse who specializes in shorter races might
> beat a good 100's horse.  I know that a good Quarter Horse can blow
> my 100 mile horse off the trail for 100 yards.  I just thought we
> were talking about endurance racing, not just racing.  I just can't
> accept the fact that the winners of a wide open 25 mile race are
> telling me they don't have time to train for 50.  They obviously
> already have.
>
> Angie

 What's the cut off for endurance?  If you are out there
for more that 4/5/6/8/10 hours it's endurance?   By definition,
endurance sports are those that rely on type 2 fibers, and on an
ability to supply the cells with oxygen [Endurance Sport, Astrand et
al 92] or as the ability to resist fatigue [Wilmore], or as the
ability of muscle to contract at a submaximal level over a period of
time [American College of Sports Medicine]. Take your choice of any of
the above, exercise for 2-3 hours would have to be considered
endurance and is not the equivalent of the few seconds it takes your
Quarter horse sprinter. if we want to call only 100s " true"
endurance, thats fine.  Its arbitrary but if that's what most
competitors want so be it.
 I can't say why some people with fit horses don't do 50s; maybe
they are just not interested in being out there that long.  Maybe
they left their dogs in the trailer.   Who knows.   I just don't
think anyone should look down on those that excel at the shorter
events.  If they are bringing in a horse that meets the criteria and
they haven't been reckless on the trail, why should anyone belittle
their choice of distance?  If most others are using the ride for
training purposes only why would they care who came in first or
whether that horse was fit enough to do a longer event?  My only
point here is that we should all respect one another's goals and
encourage good performances, and good horsemanship,  at any of the
distance offered.  In the example you gave of a woman with a fit
horse that "won" the 25 I think you should remember sportsmanship.
Did she ride smartly?  Is her horse fit?  Met the criteria?  Paid her
fee?   Did she interfere in any way with others?  Hmmm....Sounds like
you should walk up to her, look her in the eye, shake her hand and
say "nice ride, your horse looks great.  You obviously are doing
something you both enjoy and doing it well. "   Not  "you did well
here, so go do something else."  We should be able to find it in our
hearts to encourage one another if we are complying with all the
rules.  It can only make the sport stronger.
 Beth