Re: is this fair?

<< Just a wee more respect is nice! >>

     I just don't get this respect thing.  This issue has come up more than
once on this list and I don't quite understand what the endurance riders
raising this issue want and what they they define as respect.
       At the rides I attend ( which is the same region as Sandy DSA), maybe
it's different in other regions,  25 mile riders get: 1. The same award as the
50 milers  2. Use the same vetting staff as the 50 milers  3.  At 90% of the
rides a BC is awarded and at some rides the top 5 B/C are awarded  4. Use the
same facility and get the same dinner as the 50 milers  5. Are enrolled in a
Limited Distance Mileage program through AERC that keeps track of their horses
miles.   I think ride managers are as respectful to 25 milers as they are to
50 milers.
     The difference I see between a 25 mile ride and a 50 mile ride is that a
50/100 mile ride awards placings based on finishing times and most 25 mile
rides do not award a first place and therefore time (for example - spent in
vet checks - ie. "waiting for the vet")  can be a factor for 50 mile placement
where it is not a factor for 25 mile placement because placements are not
given in 25 mile rides.  This is the only area I have seen where ride managers
give preference to 50/100 mile riders and it's only an issue when there is a
back up.
      Do 25 mile riders want this distance to be like 50/100 mile races where
there is a winner, placings are awarded, points are given based on placing, wt
classes and miles and only top 10 considered for B.C.?  Do 25 mile riders want
the "limited distance" program eliminated and points awarded that equal 1/2
the 50 mile distance and therefore be eligible for regional awards with the
50/100 mile rides?
      If the respect issue is coming from other riders (ie your peers) it is
something that is not going to be resolved by ride management or through the
AERC.  Practicing good trail manners, good sportsmanship and being polite
(which I am guessing this "respect" issue might be coming from) crosses all
distances in endurance riding and I am sure everyone has stories of riders in
"all distances" being disrespectful or rude.  Maybe you haven't experienced
because you have only ridden one distance.
      If you "respect" the distance you are doing and feel you are doing a
good job what does it matter what other riders think?  I know I wouldn't care
what other riders thought if I chose to ride in only one distance.  Ride
managers are acknowledging your accomplishment (through awards and anouncing
completions) as well as AERC (through the limited distance program and list LD
rides in EN).  I have never been to an awards dinner where 25 mile riders were
not applauded when picking up their award.  So, what exactly, do you (25 mile
riders who feel this way) mean when you say you want "respect".