Re: Thoroughbreds

Arikara Appoloosa wrote:
>NO

I think that's a bad answer.  It's not that simple.

Most TBs can easily finish 25 or 50 miles.  Some win.
Some can do 100 miles.

You don't see them too often.  I think that might be
because the sound ones are used for 3 day eventing
and jumping... stuff like that.  Plus, they tend
to be big.  On the other hand, there are plenty of
15.2 to 15.3 TB's out there (and smaller) and 16H
Arabs.  A TB in dressage, 3 day eventing, or show
jumping is going to be an expensive horse.  Most
people don't shell out that kind of money to do
endurance on a TB when the Arabs dominate the sport
and you can buy one that's won Tevis or OD for
$10K.

Magnum had good recoveries.  I posted them once.
If this horse didn't have an off-the-track injury,
watch out!  My next one will also be a TB and will
not have a serious off-the-track injury.

As for the feet, hell, Magnum has soft feet, but
with Dynamite and proper diet (like mom balancing
the Ca+/P) his feet are great.

It's much easier to find a 100 mile arab, but nothing
is black and white.  For instance, my TB is better
suited for endurance than an Arab I know.  Plus, the
muscle fiber will adapt to a certain degree with
conditioning.  It just depends.

If you are going to spend a lot of time with your
horse you need to like him.  It's that simple.  If
you have a TB and you enjoy riding, I think your TB
can do fine in Endurance.

:) - kat myers
In San Mateo (No.) Ca. with Magnum the TB ex-racer