Opening the Dog Debacle

     Hello folks!

     Have to tell you.  I didn't mean to open this can of worms when I
     asked about dogs and trail riding.  I just wanted to know if anyone on
     Ridecamp had had a dog who had problems with dewclaws, and had elected
     to have them removed.  Nothing more.

     Our dogs go on training rides with us, and accompany us only on rides
     where they are welcome.  Fortunately, they are very well behaved, and
     we are religious about keeping them leashed, and staying away from
     camps while on 'potty walks.'  They nap in our camper while we're
     riding.  And while the one dog gives us the woeful look as we tack up,
     we've been told by our neighbors that they relax once we're out of
     site.

     I made the error of indicating that we cry when we leave them in camp.
     I should have said that they cry when left home, which they do, when
     we can get my brother in law to come and watch them while we're away.
     As we load the camper and horse trailer, you'd think we were torturing
     them from the cries and depressed behavior.  For some reason, at
     competitions, they seem to realize that this is not their gig, and
     they chaw on their rawhides, and wait for us to return.  It works best
     when we can leave them at home, or if one of us is back at camp,
     simply because they can get all the attention they want, when they
     want it.  But they're good dogs, and they cope, as we don't always
     have options for dog-sitters....  Plenty of water, some entertainment,
     and we park as far as possible away in case our neighbors don't like
     seeing our hairballs.  And, fortunately, they behave.

     I've seen the havoc a misbehaved dog, a misbehaved child, a misbehaved
     horse, etc., can cause in a crowd.  Fortunately, I think they're few
     and far between (at least in our experience) and mightily rebuked!

     I think we try to be considerate, and respect the wishes of those not
     interested in our critters, as the majority of people who have horses,
     dogs, children, reptiles, etc., do.

     Sorry for opening this up, as its one of those things that people have
     VERY strong opinions on, and I sincerely doubt that anyone is likely
     to convince anyone to change their stance on it.  I will grant that it
     has made me *think* about the topic, and this is the purpose of the
     board.

     *THANK YOU* to everyone who e-mailed me privately to encourage us to
     do the dewclaw removal.  We did, and despite the fact that she opened
     the stitches :( on one surgery incision, and lost that wonderful
     invention, the elizabethan collar (we call it the 'reverse lampshade')
     somewhere on our acreage (in the snow, and it is white, and snowed
     again -- making it unlikely to that we'll find it before May!).  We're
     pleased that we've reduced the likelihood of her injury on our
     training rides.  That's the name of the game for us and our animals.

     Be well, all.

     --Patti (and Deva -- who is trying to think of a new and ingenious way
     of complicating her surgery recovery)