Re: Conditioning young/beginning horse

Don't worry about a heart monitor as yet.  If you work your young horse
hard enough to need a heart monitor, you'll ruin his legs.  Granted, it
could tell you SOME things, like recoveries, but so can a $6 stethoscope.

Do you mean pony a horse in competition?  No way.

A good older lead horse would be the best babysitter/teacher.  If you
know a very conservative rider that you could buddy up with at the ride,
park next to them.  TRY to get them bonded before the ride, then start in
the back and stay on their tail.

Be very concious of warm ups.  Muscular, cutting types will muscle up and
be major risk of tying up if you are careless.  10-12% protein, tops.
Feed plenty of grass hay, not straight Alfalfa ( I'm mentioning these
things because they are so different between the western/endurance way.

Enjoy!  This will probably be a great side line for your horse and will
also make them happier in their ring work.

Angie McGhee

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:10:07 -0800 Kirsten Price
<kirsten@vermilion.reno.nv.us> writes:
>I am just starting out and have a couple of questions.  I have a 9
>year-old Morgan gelding who is currently in excellent condition.  He's
>actually a cutting horse, but I'd like to take him on some shorter
>endurance rides throughout the year for a change of pace so to speak.
>
>But my question is really about my 4 year-old Morgan filly.  I'd like
>get her started on Endurance/CTRs.  She has about three months of
>training with an excellent reining/working cowhorse trainer under her
>belt and she is solid on the trail (even some rough stuff) over short
>distances as the trainer uses hill work and flat work two days per
>week
>as part of both mental and physical conditioning to supplement the
>arena
>work.  I'd like to get her in good 25-mile condition by mid-spring,
>but
>am concerned about doing too much with her.  She is mentally mature
>but
>physically immature as yet.
>
>I searched the archives and got some good info... but no one ever said
>anything (that I could find) about ponying and how effective or
>ineffective a method that would be to condition a young horse without
>so
>much stress from a rider. Also, is it typically acceptable to pony
>well-behaved young horses on rides?
>
>I do not have a heart-rate monitor.  How important is it that I get
>one
>(also how soon) and what brands are recommended?
>
>I'd appreciate any information and advice anyone has to offer.
>Thanks.
>
>Kirsten

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]