Snaffle or riding halter

Several people have responded to my question about the horse that
stumbles.  Some have suggested shorter toes, rocker toes, changing
angles, etc. (I've already done all that), plus vet checking.  Another
said I should put him in a snaffle and maintain contact.  I've been
thinking about buying a riding halter from Pat Fredrickson for another
horse I have. To help this horse over his stumbles, should I put him in
a snaffle, curb bit, or is the riding halter a good choice? Any advice
is appreciated.  Thanks.

Amber