Slow Recovery- Heart Rate

Any suggestions??

Have a 10 yo Arabian gelding who is fit endurance wise except that his
heart rate on completion of training after 30 minutes is very high for a
horse at his stage of fitness.For example his pulse is well over
60,sometimes as high as 70 after 30 minutes of recovery time when he has
been on a 35k training ride.
This horse had a good record  in endurance 3 years ago until he injured his
shoulder. He was turned out to let the injury heal and he now shows no sign
of lameness. Chiropracter has visited twice and can find no signs of muscle
or bone trouble. The horse eats well, is always keen to go during training.
The only problem I can discern during exercise on the training track is a
tendency to crab both ways while trotting. This could indicate some
soreness but it has been checked out by the Chiro.

The weather has been hot and sticky and the training tracks are relative
difficult. However my other horse and this one in previous years would
recover to the mid forties with the same conditions.

Bruce from Downunder
Queenslander
boverton@tpgi.com.au