Re: Saddles for endurance

sumralls wrote:
>         I finally after many, many months and many, many saddles later settled on
> a Courbette Marschall Special but had to order the extra wide tree.  It
> is an all-purpose/dressage model, nice knee roll, very deep, padded seat,
> and of course it's pretty.

My husband uses this same saddle for hunting.  It IS pretty, it is well
constructed, comfortable, and quite secure.  It allows a more upright,
balanced posture than the forward (or jumping) saddles.  The one thing I
have against it is that the panels are foam blocked rather than stuffed
with traditional packing.  The saddle repairman we took it to after a
good deal of riding said it wasn't worth restuffing.  We talked him into
doing a traditional job and we have it reflocked regularly.

The panels on an English saddle DO wear down..  We plan on reflocking
about every 1500 miles or so of combination training & competition.
Mike ultimately inherited my old Hook endurance saddle when it didn't
fit my new horse.  The Courbette Marschall Special goes fox hunting &
for dressage lessons, now.

Linda Flemmer
Blue WOlf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV