Re: is this fair?

>((Sandy wrote:)
>Okay - I know a way to have everyone fell really good about the fees at
rides
>AND the really tough job RMs have in planning these rides for us to enjoy -
go
>to a rated Arabian or Saddlebred show. Check out their costs and don't
forget
>to count trainers fees. monthly training fees, stall fees, office fee
>(whatever the heck THAT is - new in 1989), tarnsport fees, 'handling fees
(now
>that you have paid for your horse to be traiend ALL MONTH, you ALSO get to
pay
>for the traienr to now HANDLE you horse), etc. You get my drift? Trust me,
you
>will come aaway thinking "Oh my goodness gracious sakes alive! How LUCKY I
am!
>ANd how much more FUN I have!" Just a thought. Let me know who goes.
>san

I'm so glad you wrote it that way.  Even the so-called training shows cost
LOTS!  I started out with hunter-jumpers and the barn's training/boarding
fee was $500 per month.  This was just for basics.  If you wanted anything
extra-ie. turnouts, supplements, extra riding time in arena, wash rack
usage, etc. -that cost extra too.  This lady also charged for trailering and
then once you were at the show, she required that she rode your horse in at
least two classes as warmup, and of course, charged training fees for these
too.  Also, the show fees ran anywhere from $5(training show) to $35.00 per
class.

Also, don't forget to add in all those special clothes that seem to cost
more than your house payment.  Boots, breeches, coat, hat, gloves etc.  Then
if you want to ride Western, you also have to have special outfits for that.
Boots, chaps, shirts, hats, gloves, etc...  Heaven forbid that you ride in
anything outdated >G<

Fortunately, or unfortunately as the case may be, we could never come up
with these kind of funds.

My husband and I sat down together one night and added up all these costs
and realized that we could have a LOT more fun if we bought two horses that
we could use as a family and keep at home so that we could ride when we
wanted, do what we wanted with them, and save a HECK of a LOT of money.
Endurance ride fees seem pretty affordable compared to that.  Now if I could
just come up
with a way to make my budget want to afford more of them <G>

Carrie and Buddy
(Husband) Craig--(I thought we were just going to ride around the block
dear?)