Re: Sources of Foods

I don't know where you get your "facts" about feeds, but you should try
feeding products from a major feed company that makes quality feed like
Purina. Sure you may pay a little more,  but that is because only high
quality grains are used in combination with several sources of fats and a
complete balance of vitamins and minerals. Sure there are lots of feed
mills out there that make junk feed, but not all of them!!!!.

----------
> From: HELFTER 77 <HELFTER77@aol.com>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Sources of Foods
> Date: Thursday, January 22, 1998 8:39 AM
>
> Sources of Foods
>
> For those who did not read past "sugar is bad for horses" I am re-posting
the
> remains of that paragraph and the following paragraph for reiteration.
> Please keep in mind that poor quality grains are hidden in sweet feeds.
This
> is a fact. The feed industry has a bad habit of using our animals as
garbage
> disposals. Sweet and pelleted feeds are great for covering up that
garbage.

> >>Sugar is as bad for horses as it is for any other species, and horses
may
> exhibit mood swings similarly seen in humans. Time and time again horses
calm
> rapidly after molasses-sweetened feeds are removed from the diet.
Molasses
> also contains chemical preservatives or surfactants. Preservatives to
reduce
> spoilage in the heat of the summer and surfactants such as propylene
glycol to
> reduce congelation in the chill of the winter. Molasses and its baggage
bring
> inconsistencies that we like to avoid.
> Pelleted feeds are used as alternatives to sweet feeds and do not cause
the
> increase in blood sugar that is associated with feeding molasses coated
> grains. However, pelleted feeds bring forth other concerns. One,
poor-quality
> grains are easily disguised in pellet form and two, many pellet binders
are
> chemically based. The major concern lies in the quality of the grains.
Grain