Re: Stumbling

 Bob & Amber Roberts wrote:

 > Does anyone have problems with their horse stumbling, no matter the
 > angle of the hoof?  If so, what is the solution? >>

Stumbling is really an interesting and complex issue. I wonder what causes it
when I am walking down the carpeted hall and "catch" a foot. As a body
therapist I can come up with all sorts of reasons, some fairly exotic.
The issue has to be broken down more to analyze it. For the horse there are
obviously four feet that could stumble, as well as the rider and tack and
shoeing angles that could be responsible. The first cut at analysis, to me,
would be is the stumbling ocurring on the same foot. If not, then it fits a
random pattern and may be caused by in attention, (I, of course am not subject
to this problem), or rider imbalance ... If it is always the same foot then we
may want to look at the structure and see if there is some issue there. ie.
hoof angles, rotated illia, high shoulder, carpus not fully extending ...
There is another "inattention" cause, this is a "block" in the joints'
proprioception, so that the nervous system has "lost" touch with it's knowing
where everything is. Linda Tellington has an aid for this. Simple find the
offending foot and tap on it with a hoof pick, rock, hammer or your cell
phone, tap all over the hoof, from the coronet to the shoe, and even the sole.
The theory is that this added input will wake up the system. ( My wife is
trying it on me in the morning, just kidding). Working the horse over
caveletti's and ground poles helps with teaching them to get out of the way.
If the horse hits a pole, go over and tap that foot immediately and do it
again.
Please be sure that your tack is not restricting a shoulder or something.
Also, if it's not a "random" event, each foot having equal chance at
stumbling,  consult with your DVM.

jim pascucci
Certified Advanced Rolfer