RE: Boarding an Endurance Horse

Lauren:

I think what I ran into was a lack of understanding of what she is expected to do. These are people that basically spend their whole time in an arena, and can't relate to the conditioning and nutritional differences between their sport and mine. The idea of riding more than a few miles at a walk just doesn't make sense to them. I really made an effort to explain her energy & nutritional requirements (the best I understand them anyway <g>), but I guess what I consider a maintenance level, they consider an extreme. I really don't understand why it hit now, I thought we had a pretty good relationship.

I have a real problem accepting that a horse that can do 17 miles in under 2 hours with a pulse of 86, recovers to 60 within 3 minutes, and does a 17/17 CRI 10 minutes later is out of condition or is suffering any ill effects. Yes, she was sweaty when we got back, but there wasn't a speck of lather and you'd sweat too with a heavy winter coat <g>. I seem to remember having to hold her back, not push her. But I guess all they see is a sweaty horse, and in their world that relates to a problem.

Anyway, I think its something that should be considered when you evaluate a facility. Hopefully, what I encountered is the exception and not the rule and nobody else will ever have to go through the hassles I did on this one.

Bruce