Re: wide gait in hind end

>In reality, is the trot more energy efficient
>than the canter, at least for distances? Is it preferred because it
>can be
>sustained for a longer period of time?

Some horse's heart rates drop when they go into a canter, which means it
is requiring less effort, HOWEVER, it is inflicting lots of wear and tear
on the lead leg.  That is why we prefer the trot.  There are always two
feet on the ground and it spreads out the wear and tear.

Angie McGhee

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]