Re: wide gait in hind end

In a message dated 98-01-22 03:41:07 EST, Bierstedt@aol.com writes:

<< In a way this makes sense, and yet, the implication is that a canter (at
the
 optimal speed) could be an energy efficient gait. But surely the trot is the
 gait of choice for endurance? In reality, is the trot more energy efficient
 than the canter, at least for distances? Is it preferred because it can be
 sustained for a longer period of time?  >>

It's all speed dependent. Horses can gallop for 20 miles, canter for longer,
and probably trot for a lot longer--there is a continual energy cost to
accelerating 1,000 lbs at various speeds. Within the horse is a kind of pace-
maker that urges the animal to shift gears at a certain level of metabolic
challenge.

You and I can crawl around on our hands and knees (trot equivalent) and could
develop quite a fast crawling mode. But if the point is to get from point A to
point B in reasonable time, and if these points are far apart, then, at some
point it would be wise to stand up and start running. If you tried to crawl
ten miles as fast as possible, you'd never make it.

ti