Re: Falling off of cliffs

> We noticed that most folks leaned <away> from the edge.  Think of the
> following scenario:
> Cliff to the right
> Solid mountain to the left.
>
> Rider leans to mountain/to the left.  His/her left seat bone is now more
> weighted and pushes the horse to the right, TOWARDS the edge.  Poor
> horse is being told to side pass off the side of the mountain and he
> probably thinks the rider is crazy.

I've done this and *know* that's what happens. But no amount
of brain power could convince my body that it was OK to sit
up straight and ignore the 500 foot drop down into the
American River Canyon ("Isn't it pretty?" Karen comments...
as I gulp quietly to myself).

Even when you try and make yourself, you know that you're
still leaning... and then the horse knocks a rock off over
the edge and insists on turning his head to gawp at the
noise. "Good horsie, look straight ahead... please? Gulp"...

This is part of the American River 25/50/70 ride, if anyone
knows it, between Rattlesnake Bar and Cardiac Hill. And this
year they rode it after very heavy rains the day before. Double
gulp. I hope trail erosion is minimal...

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull - elsie@calweb.com
Displaced English person in Sacramento, CA

http://www.calweb.com/~trouble
http://www.calweb.com/~elsie