Re: Picklet Line Ropes

sumralls wrote:

> Idea for nonstretching rope for a picket line:  Try REI (Recreational
> Equipment, Inc.).  They carry quite a selection of mountain climbing ropes.
>  You know they are built not to stretch -- we hope!

Actually, REI is a good source for climbing rope, but climbing ropes DO
stretch.  The leading ropes about 7-10%, although at least they stretch
like a rubber band, don't stretch and stay stretched.  Maybe that's a
good thing if a horse tended to fight back against it.  Some ropes do
stretch ALOT, thank God---imagine falling off a cliff you were climbing,
hitting the end of the rope twenty feet below and stopping dead without
any stretch at all.  Good way to get hurt.  So if you specifically want
a rope that does NOT stretch, ask for a rope with as little "impact
force elongation" as possible.

Another good source might be to ask about sources of used
ropes---climbing ropes come in 165' lengths and are not cheap, but if
someone was using it for climbing and it took a good fall or two, they
retire the rope (understandable considering the stakes if the rope
fails).  Much, MUCH cheaper and still perfectly adequate for picket line
rope.

Just another .02

Susan