Re: wide gait in hind end

Solis, Suzanne (LGE-AT) wrote:

> You wrote:
> In your opinion does this produce a smooth trot for the rider?

For the horse, yes!  More time in suspension and fewer concussive
impacts of the foot with the ground.  For the rider, no.  The
expansiveness of the trot tends to throw the rider up more inmty
experience.  One gelding of ours preferred that you sit to the rear of
the saddle as he trotted like this.  It was an interesting (but not
comfortable) ride.  It WAS always fun to tell somebody galloping along
side you "I need to make up some time" I'd let the horse drop and spread
& shift into high gear trot.  The look on their face as I pulled away
from their gallop at our trot was great.

> Do you think that horses with smoother trots to ride are more
> conformationally sound for endurance?

Hard to make a case for this - too many environmental factors.

> Does high action which is predominant in the Arab park horse type equate
> to a bouncy hard trott for the rider?

Some of the best Park Arabs & 3 gaited Saddlebreds I ever rode were as
smooth as silk.  On the other hand, these horses are wasting a lot of
energy going nowhere for endurance.  Not my first choice for an
endurance mount.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV