Re: Portable Stalls Picket

In a message dated 98-01-16 05:24:37 EST, mbp@holly.colostate.edu writes:

<< Picket lines - They seem to work well, but I have heard of one instance
 where a horse got a leg over the lead rope and almost sawed its foot off
 trying to get untangled.  As with anything, try it at home several times,
 and be careful.

 My favorite, and what I use:  The Safety Fence from Custom Iron Workers.
 Would have never bought it until I saw it.  Expensive but excellent, and
 over time, worth the investment!  When first using it, I was on a slant, >>

I use a picket at times. However. I did the problem as indicated above.
I made a high line that ran from the back of the trailer to a two piece poll -
made from 2 inch pipe and fitted to the bumper on my big truck motorhome. ) my
old one from the 70's).  I would jac-knife the rig and run the rope.

I must have left the rope too long one time. She must have put her head down
to scratch the head  --foot went through the rope and halter. head came up and
flipped her over upside down -wrapped the rope- nylon-BAD-- around the ankle.
She fell over on the rope.. bent the pipe pole.. what a wreck. I was up and
out of the MH.. cut the rope.( I sleep with a knife open on the table with a
flash-lite)   she had only fought for about 2 minutes.. but was soaked and
very shaken up.. I left her lay there for a few minutes. Nothing appeared
broke.. I was a wreck. I thought she was trashed bad..It was the night before
the ride. NO vet on the grounds..
After 5 minutes she stood up.. and started to eat hay. NOthing broke. the
ankle had a bad rope burn.
So packed her leg with ice. Walked her for an hour--at 3 am..
Put some icthamahual sp-- and wraped with more ice.. And went to sleep.
We walked he for an hour in the morning. cleaned off the ankle.
Vetted in sound. rode a 30 mile ctr.. placed .. i think 1st or 2nd hw..

Then went home and turned her out. sound..
THEN  packed up early sunday am and went to another 30 mile ctr.. veted in
sound but tired. finished and placed i think 3rd..

Was I lucky or what?  What I did was the best for her. I rode and kept her
moving. so she did not stiffien up. The ankle -pastern did get worse the week
after. but not bad.. just kept it clean and treated.  Never was lame.

We did not use the picket too much after that. When I did I kept the rope
short.

Now I tie to the trailer for NATRC CTR- required. I - re-trained her to not
pull back-- as much-- we are working on the John LYons - give to the pressure
lesson.. it works. she is not fully trust worthy. May still pull back - but
less. We also use the 'cross tie' bungie. They work great and so far I think
the safest.
We still use electric  pens. but only in a controlled site..I really trust
mine. BUT other horses will run through..
I have Mitts pen. had it for a year. I just have not had the time to put it on
the trailer. I
I have seen riders just carry it loose in the trailer then haul it out at the
ride and set it on the ground. A BIT heavy for that I think. I may try it
this year that way. To see how it works. The ones I have seen set up look
great and safe..
SInce we hope to do more endurnace this year, I guess I should get this  thing
mounted..

Roger R