Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

In a message dated 98-01-14 04:59:27 EST, patfred@snowcrest.net writes:

> If specific things are named, there
>  is always some strange thing that breaks the rule.

OK, here's a "strange thing" that happened to me years ago.  How would all you
ride managers have handled this situation?

It was the Diamond 50 at Mt. Lassen, Calif.  One of the vet checks was moved
from the previous year's location.  Unfortunately, there was a
misunderstanding with the vets, and they went to the location of the old vet
check.  The trail markers did not lead the riders to the "new" vet check,
therefore those who stayed religiously with the marked trail never got to that
vet check and therefore did not pass it.

The "old" vet check, where the vets were waiting for us, was visible from the
trail if you happened to be looking in that direction.  I and about 20 other
riders saw the vets and followed the path down to where they were.  We went
through this vet check, but upon leaving, we were directed to flags that
followed the old trail; these were flags from the previous year that took a
different route (hmm, funny how they looked a little faded . . .).  Eventually
we ran out of flags, and floundered about until someone who knew the area
found the correct trail.  This cost us at least an hour.

So, here's the ride manager's dilemma:  Half the riders stayed on the trail
and did the complete ride.  But they did not go through the first vet check.
The other half went through all vet checks, but missed some of the trail and
came in an hour later than they would have had they stayed on the trail.

What would you do as a ride manager?

Linda
San Francisco