Re: AERC completion time rule - feedback wanted

I feel the time limit is very valid and should stand as is for a ride that
is properly measured and where there are not situtations that arise that
are out of control of RM.  But for situtations such as Very violent thunder
storms, serious trail vandalism, etc., I feel ride RM needs the ability to,
well manage his ride.

In the case of a serious thunder storm, which we can have any day of the
year in FL - the lightening capital of the world - it may not be safe to
send the riders back on trail.  So we are talking about extending a hold
time so that we would keep every one in a shelter area - assuming a vet
check was such an area.  That way we could get all the horses and people
killed with one strike.  Seriously, would it be fair to charage this
"official time out" to the riders.

When trail markers are vandalized and riders are taken off trail and dumped
into the woods, only to wonder around for some time is it fair to penalize
them.  I can hear the arguments about this is endurance riding and being
able to navagate in the woods is part of the sport and this is a sport
where men are men and the sheep are nervious.  But the point is it is the
responsibility of RM to ensure a level playing field and if some portion of
the riders have well marked trail and another doesn't because of trail
vandalize, then is it fair to further penalize the effected riders?  I can
make an argument for a protest in this situtation.

My suggestion is the current rule is fine as long as there is sufficient
leeway for ride managers to manage their rides.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm
Little Stormy - getting ready for her first ride in six years
The Rockman, a.k.a Misty Jr.
Jordy, a.k.a. Bridger - Finaly getting his shot

Sarasota, FL